Sunday, February 28, 2010

I'm Back

Friday was my last day as Director of Public Art for the UrbanArt Commission. I started there as an intern right after graduating from college in May of 1998, and over the years I've held pretty much every position there. UrbanArt provided opportunities for professional and personal development, as well as put me in a position to affect so much of our community and to work with so many talented people.

Next, I'll be starting a new career as a technical writer for a local corporation, and by next I mean tomorrow!

I started this blog as a way to make myself take note of the art part of my job at UrbanArt. Not the parts where I read, wrote and negotiated contracts, or had meeting after meeting after meeting, but the fun parts: studio visits, researching projects in other cities, looking at materials, visiting sites for artwork, etc.

So I'll keep this blog, because even though I'll no longer be an art administrator, and art technically will not be my job, I'll still be an artist and perhaps a better one as I get my head out of other people's art and into my own. Plus, as an artist I feel like it is my responsibility to look for beauty, and it is my inclination to share it with others.

I have a few posts related to UrbanArt to catch up on, but after that I'll keep posting about my own artwork, art I like, other things I find interesting, and maybe a little bit about the transition from the non-profit art world to the corporate world. Wish me luck!

No comments: